Monday, November 16, 2009

This Is Why We're Fat


One thing I've noticed about Europe is that the serving sizes are conspicuously smaller than back home. This isn't exactly a shocker, but it is noticeable when you first experience it, especially with beverages (alcohol excepted). Browsing the soft drink section most Americans would think they were looking at kids' drinks. The serving sizes are at least 25%-33% smaller. I might as well be buying a Hi-C juice box.

I probably would be on solid ground to figure that Europeans have a much lower diabetes rate than we do, but from what I understand obesity is rising around the globe. Still, it's interesting to note that I also don't see the hyper-saturation of convenience stores in the places I've visited. And fast-food in the American sense is virtually non-existent. Consumerism in general seems dialed-down a few levels.

What's wrong with these people?

Woman standing outside the American Embassy in downtown Lisbon

Unrelated: Walked into a cafe in Lisbon and "We Are The World" was playing on the radio. Bunch of dirty friggin' hippies on this continent.

2 comments:

Eric Wojcik said...

They started playing "We Are The World" when they saw you coming. They thought you were Michael Jackson.

Siwatu Moore said...

It's really sad that in reality a Portuguese woman looks more like MJ than me :(