Saturday, November 14, 2009

21-Effing-Euros?!?!?!?


Loção de Deus

I purchased this at a local pharmacy in downtown Lisbon. Didn't bother looking at the price. I mean, it's lotion right? Sure it gets pricey in the States, but what could the damage be? Twenty-one-effing-euros, that's what it could be! Insane. That's 31 U.S. dollars. Thirty-one dollars. What is this stuff made with? Stem-cells from a newborn angel? Maybe, maybe that could justify the price. We could erase the entire U.S. trade deficit if we just sold this stuff.

Of course I was too embarrassed to look up "I'm a cheap bastard." in Portuguese and just get something else. No, I'm a proud rich American. It's just money. So I bought three bottles just to show the world we still totally own it.

2 comments:

Me But In Glasgow said...

If God doesn't want you using unborn baby's stem cells for medical research he certainly doesn't want you using angel's for lotion. The price is the premium you pay for their risking his wrath. Add in sales tax and greedy American tax and 21 euros sounds about right.

PS my word verification option was "oveneda" which means nothing (that i know of) in Spanish, but looks like it should. it seems blogger's trying to get into the mood.

Glad you're enjoying!

Eric Wojcik said...

It looks like what you've got there is a gen-u-wine premium luxury item. Of the EU states since integration, Portugal is one of two to have done pretty poorly. I'm reminded of our trip to Poland - there was actually a Sephora in the downtown area, but everything was outrageously expensive compared to what they'd be in New York. The cost of importation must be very high, at least in part for volume. Lisbon is in better shape than Krakow, I'm sure, but wonder by how much.