Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Avian Equivalent of Driving a Beemer


I have cable for the first time in eight years, and with 2.5 trillion channels, what do I watch? Planet Earth on Discovery HD. That's pretty much it. Maybe a little Sportscenter every now and then (although somehow SC really sucks now compared to ESPN's Golden Age between 1995-2000).

I can't stop watching Planet Earth though, even if I keep seeing the same episode a dozen times. It's like Seinfeld...if Seinfeld was narrated by Sigourney Weaver and had no jokes and took place in exotic locations across the globe as opposed to the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

What I take away from this ridiculously beautiful piece of documentary filmmaking is that human beings suck and should be confined to cities and never, ever, ever step foot into the wilderness lest we screw things up even further. The episode about life in the Arctic is pretty heartbreaking. I apologize to all the polar bears (and btw there's nothing more pathetic than watching a polar bear in a zoo in 90-degree weather--it's like when Frosty the Snowman got trapped in the greenhouse). I will try my best to not add to our excessive way of life. Public transportation whenever possible, no more bottled water, turn off the lights, no more big-game hunting, etc. We really don't deserve this place.

That black-and-blue smiley face in the picture is a bird. He is preening for the female in the foreground. The most garish bird gets the girl. Amazing. And here I am stuck wearing double diamond-encrusted platinum Jesus-pieces to get the same desired effect. Why does Mother Nature hate me?

No comments: